Global health diplomacy provides a critical opportunity for Americans to engage with other countries in a positive way, with the potential to improve the health, wealth and stability of the world. By widely sharing our biomedical discoveries, cultivating research talent and human resources in developing countries, and negotiating treaties and other international agreements that save lives and improve health, we can provide leadership through science and foster more constructive relations with other countries. We welcome your participation in what promises to be a lively and productive discussion. Through this symposium, we aim to generate new ideas about the positive role scientists and their partners in law, diplomacy and public policy can play in the world.
* T. Alexander Aleinikoff – Dean, Georgetown University Law Center
* John J. DeGioia – President, Georgetown University
* Roger Glass – Director, Fogarty International Center
The Role of Global Health Science in Foreign Relations
* Carol Jacobs – Chair of the Board, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria and Chair, Barbados HIV/AIDS Commission
* Jim Kim – François Xavier Bagnoud Professor of Health and Human Rights, Harvard School of Public Health and former Director of HIV/AIDS, WHO
* Jimmy Kolker – Chief of HIV/AIDS, UNICEF and former U.S. Ambassador to Uganda
* Elias Zerhouni – Former Director, National Institutes of Health
The Role of Governance Issues in Global Health
* Larry Gostin – Linda and Timothy O’Neill Professor of Global Health Law, Georgetown University Law Center, and Faculty Director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law
* Gaudenz Silberschmidt – Vice-Director and Head of International Affairs, Federal Office of Public Health of Switzerland
* Allyn Taylor – Visiting Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center and Senior Scholar at the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law
* Derek Yach – Vice President of Global Health Policy, PepsiCo and a former Executive Director, WHO
* John Monahan – Executive Director of the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law and Visiting Professor of Law, Georgetown University Law Center
Symposium presented by The Fogarty International Center of the U.S. National Institutes of Health and Georgetown University and the O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law.
Georgetown University Law Center
Hart Auditorium – Bernard P. McDonough Hall
600 New Jersey Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C.
For more information or to RSVP click here.